Sump, Head etc.

To: mgs@Autox.Team.Net
Subject: Sump, Head etc.
From: Neil Cotty <neilc@tradesrv.com.au>
Date: Wed, 02 Dec 1998 22:30:28 -0800
Hi all,

I read in Bentley's (aka The Bible) that to take the sump off I have to
disconnect the engine front mounting bolts (hoses etc) and lift the
engine a bit to get at the front sump bolts. Typical. Sure looks that
way from under the car. I don't have an engine hoist and I can't mount a
sling/block & tackle whatever from the ceiling - no support beams.
Obviously I'm going to need something to take the motors in/out in the
future so what would y'all suggest? I've seen the a-frame type before -
can't remember what we used to take the A's motor out, 10 years ago now
but we hired something. Also read a bit on here about the oberg tilt
lift. But I still need a frame to hang it off. <G>

I also took a look down the cylinders and had a play with some tubing to
see if I could feel any problems in the cylinders etc but no luck. Got
everything off the car in readiness to remove the head but I wanted to
check the sump first. Oh well maybe I'll start with the head (got to
read about that process tonight), but I certainly won't feel secure
until I get a look at the bottom end of the engine. Oil looked fine, no
small fragments in it as far as I could see. Took off the side covers,
fine in there too. Gotta be internal.

Cheers,
Neil.