transmission trouble, gears grinding - 80 MGB

To: mgs@Autox.Team.Net
Subject: transmission trouble, gears grinding - 80 MGB
From: JChumley3@aol.com
Date: Wed, 2 Dec 1998 12:14:22 EST
Lately my 80 MGB has developed a nasty problem of grinding terribly when I try
to shift into reverse.  Occasionally it slips right into gear, but more often
it responds with a rather unsettling amount of gear grinding.  I find that if
I rev the engine a bit, it shifts into reverse more easily.  Any ideas about
what might be causing this, and how to remedy the problem?

Clutch fluid is topped off, and there don't appear to be any leaks anywhere in
the hydraulics.  I did replace the slave cylinder a few months back, though,
and I suppose it is poosible that I did not bleed the system properly.

Thanks for any help,

Jeremy