Sump off..

To: mgs@Autox.Team.Net
Subject: Sump off..
From: Neil Cotty <neilc@tradesrv.com.au>
Date: Sun, 06 Dec 1998 20:14:42 -0800
Hi everyone,

FINALLY I managed to get the blasted sump off the B (1970 CB). Phew!
What an exercise. I decided to try removing the sump using a combination
of ideas from people on the list. I managed to remove all of the
accessible bolts using a 1/4" socket drive and the rear three bolts
using a t-bar style of driver. The front three bolts are the problem
ones. I raised the engine I guess about an inch by placing my trolley
jack under the bellhousing. I still couldn't get to the front bolts, so
I decided to use a *revolutionary* <G> (kidding) approach and go at the
front three bolts from the front of the car, under the timing marks. I
could *just* start the bolts using a ring ended spanner and then
switching to the open end to finish off. Sorry to waste so much
bandwidth on this but it's not easy - at least for me it wasn't with a
pair of axle stands and me 6ft 4"! <G> (I'm gonna make a pit next year I
swear!!) I don't know if I'll be able to put the front three bolts in
again, without disconnecting the engine from it's mounts but I'll give
it a go. The reason I didn't remove the mounts is because I wasn't sure
which bolts to remove, the two through the middle of the mount or the 4+
closest to the fenders. Couldn't find any diagrams on this.

So here's what I've found: There is absolutely hundreds of tiny 1-3mm
square shards of aluminium and copper covering the sump floor. The
biggest piece would be about the size of a 20c piece (a bit bigger than
a quarter). I pushed on the conrod of #3 - clack - it seems the bearing
has disintegrated and it may not be the pin, piston as I thought it was.
The other rods appear to only have lateral movement (bout a mm if that),
not vertical so I guess these *may* be ok.

Should I replace all the rod bearings while I'm here? I guess I should
still remove the piston to check for cracks etc and to take a proper
look at the rod. I'm also concerned that I've blown bearing bits all
over the inside of the motor. Is there some way to clean this out whilst
the motor is still in the car (with limited access)? The top of the oil
pump strainer had bits of bearing all over it too. Lastly there is a
seal on the back of the motor where the rear sump bolts are, large round
seal. Anyway this looks like it was blowing oil everywhere, and when I
removed the sump this seal just disintegrated. I guess I just push on a
new one?

I must tell you removing the sump is the best way to get totally,
utterly, absolutely filthy. <G> I've just cleaned all the oil out my
hair, my head, half way up my arms etc. :)) (You can tell I'm a whining
programmer and not a mechanic can't you?? <VBG>) There was a lot of oil
down there - courtesy of this leaky seal. Oh yeah and the oil pump also
let me have it when I took that off. Right in the forehead. <G> lol!

Fun fun fun! :)

Neil.