Re: Petrol in oilj, pt 2

To: ggraham@edcen.ehhs.cmich.edu, mgs@Autox.Team.Net
Subject: Re: Petrol in oilj, pt 2
From: "Harlan Jillson" <hjillson@argohouston.com>
Date: Mon, 7 Dec 1998 08:01:58 CST
Gary,
   If 1 & 3 are running rich, and 2 & 4 are wet ( fuel or oil ) I'd say you are
probably running way rich.  You didn't  say anything about the height of the
jets being equal, so I'll assume they are ( they're supposed to be).  If you
are indeed running REAL rich, that could also be the problem with fuel in the
sump.  An overly rich condition can end up with fuel washing down the cylinder
walls, removing the protective coating of oil, and end up in the sump.  All of
these are bad things.
   If sound like your compression reading are ok, so I'd suggest you check your
timing, pulgs, points etc. go back and do a complete carb. adjustment.  Go by
the book, preset the jets to the specified starting point ( twelve flats down
from level in the throttle bore I think...), set the float height, and adjust
the balance and mixture and I think your problem may go away...
Good luck.
Harlan.