Re: OT MEAT ..noLBC content

To: H4aardvrk@aol.com
Subject: Re: OT MEAT ..noLBC content
From: john peloquin <peloquin@galaxy.ucr.edu>
Date: Tue, 8 Dec 1998 08:53:55 -0800 (PST)
Dear Howard,

As you said, Kobe is rare and NOT indicative of the typical fare in Japan.
That said, it IS very good, albeit outrageously expensive. I would offer
that you can get something as good in the USA for a lot less. The reason
is that beef production in Japan is almost a hobby for the Kobe beef
producers. They do a lot of things that aren't really important for beef
production because of esthetic considerations. In fact some are downright
detrimental to beef production. For example, the Japanese buy millions of
dollars of Sudan grass light hay for their beef cattle. This hay is
grown near El Centro California and shipped to Japan. The Japanese do this
not  because it is good for beef production but because it is easy to
remove the sand it is grown in. Dirt in the hay bothers the Japanese
rancher more than it bothers the cattle which would do better on a heavier
(but less fastidiously clean) hay.

"Never ascribe to Malice that which can be explained by Ignorance."
John J. Peloquin, Assistant Research Entomologist
Entomology, University of California, Riverside, CA 92521