Re: Kinzo Mig welder?

To: Rene van Maanen <renevm@support.neth.hp.com>
Subject: Re: Kinzo Mig welder?
From: Trevor Boicey <tboicey@brit.ca>
Date: Tue, 08 Dec 1998 15:57:50 -0500
Rene van Maanen wrote:
> I just went to the DIY shop, and saw a Kinzo welder.
> This welder was advertised to be used with flux core wire, and no need
> to use an inert gas.
>
> The flux wire is 5 times as expensive as the original MIG-wire.
>
> Does anybody know what is the system behind this flux core system, not
> using gas?
> Would it suit our beloved MG's?

  You probably don't want to use it on cars.

  Flux-core wire is essentially arc welding with wire
instead of rod and the flux on the inside instead of the
outside.

  It has a lot of the flaws of arc welding, namely that
it's messy, burns through easier, and the big problem is
that it leaves slag on the joint that has to be chipped
away with a hammer or grinder before painting.

  A lot of hobby welders come in flux-core mode but
have a gas conversion kit. This is the way my Lincoln
Weld-Pak came, so I have done a bit of flux-core wiring
and have the accessories to do it again.

  About the only advantages I can see to flux core is
that it's a cheaper machine, probably cheaper to run,
and can weld in the wind. I guess if I ever put up a
fence I might use up that roll of wire. ;>

--
Trevor Boicey, P. Eng.
Ottawa, Canada, tboicey@brit.ca