Re: tools, what priority?

To: Simon Matthews <simon_matthews@avanticorp.com>
Subject: Re: tools, what priority?
From: Art Pfenninger <ch155@freenet.buffalo.edu>
Date: Tue, 8 Dec 1998 19:36:32 -0500 (EST)
For a torch get a MAPP set up for about $30 dollars, if you get a nut
splitter get a Craftsman because they are guaranteed for life. If you
don't already have a 4 1/2 angle grinder then this is  a must. All you
need is a $19 Harbor Freight one but they also have factory reconditioned
ones from DeWalt for not a whole lot of money so consider one of these. If
the order is going into Harbor Freight they have a tail pipe expander on
sale 50% off for $4.99 this is really nice even if you only use it once.
If you have a compressor then a small cut off tool for about $13.00 will
save you a lot of time on things that are to difficult for the angle
grinder to get at. BTW the angle grinder does a lot more than
grind.Another cheap tool to have around is a clamp that you put on brake
hoses to stop the flow if you have to remove the caliper.Digital
voltmeters are a lot easier to use than analog ones and HF has one on sale
for $7.99. Stuby wrenches are always handy likewise a set of crowsfoot
wrenches will save the day. The small magnetic dish that they sell for
$5.00 comes in handy it not only holds nuts and bolts but can hold them
upside down while working under the car. As far as quality goes for your
wrenches and sockets Craftsman can't be beat for price/quality. I have
bought a few sockets and the stubby wrenches from HF with no complaints to
report but I only bought them because their Craftsman counterpart were
considerably more expensive and I would not be using them as much as the
Craftsman ones. A drill press is nice and once you have one you you will
use it a lot but I would say buy a used one at home because if you are not
happy with a mail order one it will be expensive to return.
...Art