Re: tools, what priority?

To: Simon Matthews <simon_matthews@avanticorp.com>, mgs@Autox.Team.Net
Subject: Re: tools, what priority?
From: Ross MacPherson <arm@bc.sympatico.ca>
Date: Tue, 8 Dec 1998 20:27:20 -0800 (PST)
At 11:26 AM 12/8/98 -0800, you wrote:
>I was wondering if the wise out there could advise me on what would be a
>good order to acquire tools, and what quality of tools are necessary?
>
>I have a fair set of hand tools, trolley jack, stands. The sorts of things
>I am wondering about are:
>Torch?
>Drill Press (and if I get a drill press, are the $49 bench drill presses
>from Harbor Freight OK, or do I need to spend $200 of a floor-standing
>model)?
>Nut Splitters?

Simon,

You'll no doubt get loys on this but I'll offer my 2 bits anyway.

My philosophy is, and has always been to buy a tool when I come across a
need for it and then (unless it's something I know I'll never need again)
buy the best one I can afford.  I work with tools in my job and as a hobby
and I KNOW there is nothing as frustrating and unsafe as using poor tools or
the wrong tool for the job.  When you need a nut splitter buy a good one but
not before. And run, do not walk, from $49 power tools.

Cheers,
Ross   MacPherson
TC-3528 , `66 BGT, NEMGT - #11849
Surrey, BC, Canada