MGB 78 wow's. What is a 78 MGB worth

To: "'MGB'" <mgs@Autox.Team.Net>
Subject: MGB 78 wow's. What is a 78 MGB worth
From: Tom Emmons <tom@emmons.com>
Date: Fri, 11 Dec 1998 10:22:59 -0600
    Well the verdict is in.  I have tried most of the suggestions people =
had given me on fixing my 78MGB to get it past Texas inspections.  It =
failed the idle HC test.  I had problems that when it was tuned up with =
the equipment it didn't have any power.  I finally found a place called =
Sports car Warehouse in Arlington Texas.  I needed some place to take it =
to any way so I though I would expedite the process to be able to drive =
it by having them give it a tune up.  Well they didn't finish all the =
test because they had the same problems I did.  It seems that the carb =
is so messed up that they said no guarantee that even a rebuild would =
work.  I know the engine should be rebuilt soon as well just because I =
don't know the history of the engine and a good going through couldn't =
hurt.

    Here is my decision to make this weekend.  I really wanted a =
everyday driver that I could work on when I had some money.  Guess that =
was a dream.  Do I sell it now and take my losses or do I spend the next =
year re doing under the hood.  What could I expect to get out of a 78 =
MGB that is in good shape body wise. Electoral has been fixed but needs =
a little clean up.  The engine runs great.  Just won't pass Texas =
emission inspection.  Air pump is froze up to and the carb is a weber =
3bbl.

     What is it worth? =20
     Better yet what could I expect to reasonably get for it?
     Any one know where I can get carburetor for a good price?
     Air pump for a good price?

Tom Emmons
tom@emmons.com
http://www.tom.emmons.com