Re: MGB 78 wow's. What is a 78 MGB worth

To: tom@emmons.com, mgs@Autox.Team.Net
Subject: Re: MGB 78 wow's. What is a 78 MGB worth
From: EricSsmc@aol.com
Date: Fri, 11 Dec 1998 12:45:55 EST
Tom,
I can see from your e-mail exactly what your problems are.  The car has
definitely been messed with from an emissions standpoint.  You basically have
no emissions equipment on the car.  Your carb has been replaced.  That lead to
removal of the catalytic converter.  And, your air pump is locked up.  NO
wonder it will not pass.  I've had bunches of MGB's and never had a rubber
bumper car that would not pass the emissions test, if the car was still
properly equipped.  I just tested my 79 and it passed with flying colors.  So,
don't  despair.  Find a Zenith carb (what your car originally had) rebuild it,
replace the manifold with the original type, replace the air pump, and for
extra piece of mind, make sure the air rail and it's respective ports in the
head are clear.  If the pump has been non-functional for some time, chances
are the rail and ports are clogged.  Get everything on, adjust the carb, and
it should do just fine.  As far as keeping or selling, can you do all this
work yourself?  That will have a large influence on the expense of replacing
the emissions equipment.  If you can, you should be able to get out for about
$300 - $400 in parts.  And to top that, your car be legal!  So, if you need
additional help on this, just e-mail me and we'll discuss further.  I've been
through this a number of times.  I may even be able to set you up with all the
parts you need to do this.  Here's another thought.  Your car without
emissions equipment will also be difficult to sell.  Trust me, I've been there
before too!

Thanks

Eric Swanger
ericssmc@aol.com