Re: MGA parts needed; NAMGAR info

To: knbschool@juno.com (Bryan L Broadhead)
Subject: Re: MGA parts needed; NAMGAR info
From: Barney Gaylord <barneymg@ntsource.com>
Date: Thu, 17 Dec 1998 20:43:11
At 08:34 PM 12/17/98 EST, Bryan L Broadhead wrote:
>Also, I would like to join NAMGAR.  You know Christmas present to me-self.
 Anyone got the address handy.

    http://www.mgcars.org.uk/namgar
Membership application is there as well.

>Last question is does anyone keep records on MGA's beside BMIHT.  I have
only a body number for my car, the DPO removed the chassis id plate.  The
car is registered as a '58 but is obviously a 1600 MK2.  Just trying to
trace the chassis number by using the body number.  BMIHT says they didn't
record body numbers on MGA's, so I'm stuck.

NAMGAR keeps such records, to the extent that the information is submitted
by the members.  A little while back there was an article in MGA! (NAMGAR
magazine), relating chassis numbers and engine numbers within a reasonable
range, like +/- 100 didgets.

As I recall, the chassis number was originally incorporated into the Car
No. that appeared on the ID plate attached to the heater shelf.  For my MGA
1500 the entire Car No. is HDT43/36897, where the last series of didgets
(the serial number) is the chassis number.  If you can find the chassis
number you can get the origin information from BMIHT.

You may be able to find the chassis number stamped on the frame ahead of
the right side seat and just to the right side of the transmission tunnel.
You would need to pull up the carpet for this, and maybe scrape off some
glue and/or rust.  If the number is hard to read, try running sand paper
over it to shine up the surface.  That will usually help the painted or
rusty impression stand out enough to read it.

Good luck,

Barney Gaylord
1958 MGA with an attitude