73 B -What & where to get wheels, carb, ignition, exhaust

To: <mgs@Autox.Team.Net>
Subject: 73 B -What & where to get wheels, carb, ignition, exhaust
From: jerbesfield@mindspring.com
Date: Sun, 20 Dec 1998 11:58:57 -0500
I'm looking to upgrade my 73 B roadster and I need some information and
suggestions. I'm looking for specific ideas, brand names, suppliers and
where exactly to purchase the following pieces at a price:

Wheels - I now have the original steel painted Rostyle wheels. What I want
is a "deep dish" type of mag wheel look, maybe something like the mini-lites
that were traditional of the era. However, I'm not hung up on Mini-lites or
the exact mini-lite look and price is very important. Anything that looks
real good and that will fit WITHOUT MODS is what I'm looking for. No wild
crazy stuff though. Ideas?

Ignition - My distributor, while it works, is the weak link in the engine.
It's very worn and adjusting ignition points all the time (when there is
more modern and more reliable technology available) is a bore. I'd  rather
be driving it! I'd like to replace the original distributor with a modern
and cost effective bolt-on electronic ignition system. Suggestions?

Exhaust - Now working but old and stock. I like the present MGB sound but
enhancement, more power and better looks are wanted. Monza, Abarth, Ansa -
What???

Carbs - presently stock SU's that work okay.  They are a pain though. I
don't enjoy tuning and maintaining them at all. Some time ago I saw a B with
a four barrel American carb on it that looked like a good fit. It looked and
sounded awesome and the owner said that it really made a difference in
performance! Since cost is a factor (I don't need a supercharger or even
Webers), since my engine is strong and will handle it and since I just want
bolt on stuff, I thought this might be a good way to go to have a custom
look  - and more power. Anybody got any information on this - or reasonable
alternatives?

I think that this info would also be valuable to any other B enthusiast out
there too. Thanks in advance for the responses!   Jerry Erbesfield -
jerbesfield@mindspring.com