re: Converting a Z-S to SUs

To: mgs@Autox.Team.Net
Subject: re: Converting a Z-S to SUs
From: ps4330@okc01.jccbi.gov (Peter Schauss x 2014)
Date: Tue, 22 Dec 1998 12:53:57 -0500
>>Since I'm pulling my engine again on my B, I'm thinking about putting
SUs on it to replace it's never-worked-right Zenith Stromberg.
So what all is involved in doing the conversion, for those of you who
have done it?  I am aware of the air filters not fitting b/c of the

I did this on my '80 with HS4s.  I personally perfer these because they
are simpler.

Manifolds:  Try to get a used set of pre-74 intake and exhaust
manifold with the heat shield.  There was a difference in the flange
thickness, so try to get a matched set.

The intake manifold which I got had a plugged, threaded hole which
was the right size for the brake vacuum hose adaptor, so that was not
a problem.  It also had a spot to connect the gulp valve and
one additional vacuum line.

As far as routing the other vacuum lines, the Moss catalog and the
Haynes manuals both have some illustrations which can be useful figuring
out how to hook things up.

If you get into trouble, email me off line at either of the addresses
below.

One other note:  Advance your timing to about 15 btdc.

Once you get the SU setup right the difference in performance is
dramatic.

Peter Schauss, Long Island, NY
ps4330@okc01.jccbi.gov
schauss@worldnet.att.net