Re: Transmission oil

To: "Michael P. Ohleger" <mikeoh@gte.net>
Subject: Re: Transmission oil
From: Jay and Mike Hartwig <mhartwig@cbu.edu>
Date: Mon, 28 Dec 1998 10:13:27 -0600

"Michael P. Ohleger" wrote:

> Mike,
>
> DON'T use 90 wt oil in the OD unit!!!!!  You are correct in using 20w50, but
>you
> must remember that these components were designed with tolerances for that
>weight
> engine oil and usually Castrol.  The synthetics are fine, but in my limited
> experience (and boy am I gonna catch it from the list on this) since
>synthetics
> were not around when MGs were designed, I would not think it prudent to use
>them
> in your car under any circumstances.  Stick to Castrol 20w50 and you won't go
> wrong.

90 wt gear oil and 20w50 are the same viscosity at 20 degrees Celcius.
Remember, gear oil and motor oil are gauged on different scales.
To say that synthetics should not be used in older cars is ludicrous.
The synthetics are more likely to cause leaks in an auto that previously
has used dino oil, but that has already been mentioned in another post.
I don't see a compelling reason to use the synthetic in a water pumper
such as the MGB.  It's funny though, because I like Castrol, but anyone
who drives a Porsche, curses Castrol.  They claim it causes low oil
pressure and increased sludge buildup. I will still use Castrol in my
MGB, but synthetic in the P-car.

Sorry, got off topic there.  I use 20w50 in my tranny, but I may switch
to a 30 wt.  I'll post how it goes.

jay

BTW.Porsche guys love Swepco 90 wt for their trannies.  Don't know if
it's worth the money for MGB tranny.  They are already smooth and
silky;  Probably why they can't handle any power. :)