new seats ruin car

To: MG list <mgs@Autox.Team.Net>
Subject: new seats ruin car
From: Jim Stuart <jimbb88@erols.com>
Date: Wed, 30 Dec 1998 19:18:32 -0500
You asked about Miata seats- I had previously installed Pontiac Fiero
seats in both my "B"'s, & loved them. After over 200,000 miles, the
first set was pretty worn, & recovering was to cost $4-500.00, so I
looked for an alternative.

Someone had told me that Miata seats would fit, so I took a tape to a
friend's car, & it looked like there would be no problem. There is a
body shop next door to my office, so I asked Smitty if he could find me
a pair in black or grey. He had a friend at another shop who he new was
stripping a Miata, so 2 days later I had a set of black Miata seats from
a 1998 total, less than 1000 miles, cost $300.00.

Installation was a breeze, used the existing front captive nuts, grade 8
bolts & large fended washers (2 per bolt). Drilled new holes in the
floor for the rear, lots of big washers to spread the load. You do have
to remove the seat belt receivers & brackets,  as I wanted to use the MG
belts & original mounting points. A few minutes with an angle grinder or
sawzall.

The Miata seats are a better fit than the Fieros, not quite as
supportive side to side, but overall, more comfortable. They sit higher
than the Fiero's, more like a B seat with a few miles on it. Like the
Fiero, some come with built-in speakers, & Moss sells a speaker kit in
their Miata catalog.

Jim Stuart

2 V8's, no dollars or sense