B's First Drive on new springs and tube shocks

To: <mgs@Autox.Team.Net>
Subject: B's First Drive on new springs and tube shocks
From: "Dan Ray" <danray@bluegrass.net>
Date: Thu, 31 Dec 1998 16:47:41 -0600
Ice and snow notwithstanding, I can now report on the rear suspension
upgrade, now that I got the car started and the brakes working. :)
The Gabriel "Red Rider" heavy duty shocks (AutoZone, $11 each) are not too
harsh at all.
I installed the 7-leaf GT springs (kit from Brit-Tek) at the same time as
the tube shock conversion, and I can say I'm very satisfied with the
improvement.
The new springs DO raise the ride height in the rear, but I don't think it
looks too bad. My research tells me that the '73's were given stiffer
springs in the front to offset tie-down "squashing" upon transit to the New
World - this is why the 73-74's may look like they "squat" moreso than other
years. This may also have something to do with the fact that older model B's
get a more drastic "lift" in the rear with 7-leaf springs. On my '73, it's
higher in back, but it evens out the stance more than anything, IMO. Once
the springs settle a bit, I'm sure it will look perfect. It should help my
ANSA exhaust survive too.
The handling is significantly improved. Not a good thing today since it's
below freezing and I, ummm...induced a "drift" at ~45 mph on a turn not by
my choosing, ahem. But it was very controllable and the extra stiffness is
great! No more crazy hopping to the side on turns with bumps!
I'll give another report in a few months once I've put some miles on the
car...

Dan
73 B