The New Year

To: mgs@Autox.Team.Net
Subject: The New Year
From: WSpohn4@aol.com
Date: Fri, 1 Jan 1999 12:31:40 EST
<<Bill Eastman said:
Some people may look at this and say that I have lost my edge
but I think I am much more effective at work now because I don't see
everything as a competition.>>

Bill, one of the most useful lessons that I ever learned was to be able to
turn my competetive feelings on and off like a switch.  You are no longer
compelled to compete just because it's there, because some Neanderthal revs
his engine at a light, because someone else goes for something that you really
didn't want anyway but that you just can't help trying to beat him out of.

Welcome down from the trees! For me at least, when you turn it on, it is just
as good as it ever was in the flush of youth; better really, as we can do
things with cooler calculation rather than impulse, and they tend to work out
better. I think it is called growing up, but that is a misnomer, as so many
people never do this, they just get older.

I really enjoyed the rest of your post as well, and look forward to exchanging
more ideas with you in the new year. (Too bad you can't make Tahoe - hey if
you can drive cross country to pick up cars, why can't you go half as far just
to look at them?)

Bill Spohn
Vancouver