HANDLING

To: mgs@Autox.Team.Net
Subject: HANDLING
From: WSpohn4@aol.com
Date: Fri, 1 Jan 1999 12:31:41 EST
<<Overinflating the front tires puts less rubber on the road, therefore less
traction. Since steering is done through the front wheels, they're easier to
turn. To the extent that understeer may be caused by heavy front weight and
difficulty turning the steering wheel, this could alleviate the problem.
If I'm wrong, let me know.
'68 MGCGT>>

Well, after a certain point what you say has some truth, but at lower
pressures, if you increase a tire's pressure it will hold better.
In other words if you have understeer, pump up the front and/or let down the
rears.

You (and I) have one of the counterintuitive cars, the MGC. It has a fair bit
of weight on the front end and it understeers quite a bit. Conventional wisdom
would have you install a sway bar on the rear of the car, as many nose heavy
American cars do. This is exactly wrong for the C however, as a fairly stiff
(I think I use a 7/8") front bar will stop the outside front wheel from
rolling and reducing grip at the front. Confusing? You bet.

Bill S.