Lucas not all that bad

To: MG List <mgs@Autox.Team.Net>
Subject: Lucas not all that bad
From: Karl Shultz <karl.shultz@ibm.net>
Date: Sat, 02 Jan 1999 19:06:05 +0000
Wow.  That old glue can get pretty sticky after 25 years.  I had a wire
get stripped of its insulation (snagged by heater control) and short
out, *all the way up* the big blue wiring loom of death.  But I managed
to get all the tape off, and replace the wire.

All told, I'm not experienced at all with electrical systems, but I
think Lucas takes a bad rap.  It's so simple that any fool can fix a
short with a test light and some patience (and perhaps some gloves so
you don't cut your hands to shreds).

Also managed to run a new wire to the heater motor (thank God...it's
cold outside!!) and it works fine.  But I'd like to put an inline fuse
somewhere in there so if it freaks out, it won't blow up the switch or
the motor.  I bought a 30-amp blow rated inlune fuse, put it in the
wire, and it no longer worked.  Pulled the fuse out and it worked just
fine.

Is this something worth hassling with, and if so, any suggestions here?

--
Karl R. Shultz   ||   karl.shultz@ibm.net
--Visit the Tarheel Sports Car Club Website!--