Re: Blackout at 60mph

To: mgs@Autox.Team.Net
Subject: Re: Blackout at 60mph
From: Eric Erickson <eric@erickson.on.net>
Date: Sun, 03 Jan 1999 11:21:58 +0000
I originally wrote:

> headlights CUT OUT completely through a series of short sweeping
> bends at 60mph!!!!!!!  Now *that* is an adrenalin buzz

Thanks to all for suggestions thoughts and encouragement (and for those
who suggested that I did this on purpose because I *enjoy* female
fingernails embedded in my arm... maybe next time now that I know what
to expect :-) As it turns out and as originally expected, the headlight
switch has simply collapsed - possibly just with age.  It won't stay up
at all now (watch the age-ist jokes here, I have just had an important
birthday).

This gives me the chance to do something that I have been dying to do
since I bought the beast - and that is fix up my switches.  For some
strange reason they are all over the place but of course being my first
MG I didn't realise this until I had closely looked at other cars'
dashboard layouts at various rallies, councours, etc.

Apart from simply a lack of availability once afternoon, can anyone
suggest why the PO would have broken the light switches into two
seperate DPST ones instead of the one DPDT?  In other words, you turned
the parking lights (and all that go with them) on with one switch and
the headlights on with another... and when you are not thinking about it
you forget one and become police-bait!!

Eric
'68MGB MkII