Fuel pump vents, 77MGB

To: MG List <mgs@Autox.Team.Net>
Subject: Fuel pump vents, 77MGB
From: Bud Krueger <bkrueger@ici.net>
Date: Mon, 04 Jan 1999 20:41:30 -0800
Hi folks,

      Been installing a new fuel tank and SU pump into the 77B.  It had a non-SU
pump that looks a lot like the one that's in the Moss catalog.  First time I
tried the car I thought it was out of gas because the pump wouldn't stop.  Okay,
the questions --

   (1) The new SU pump has what appear to be two small vents, one at the base of
the body and the other on the electrical cover.  Can anyone tell me what these
are for?  Are they to be plumbed in somehow, or are they just superfluous?

   (2) Does anyone know the Moss part number of the big rubber donut that the SU
pump is mounted in?

   (3) There is a vent connection slightly to the rear of the tank's filler
neck. Where should that piece of hose lead to?

   (4) The fuel pickup tube terminates in a small cylindrical filter.  Can this
filter be replaced?  BTW, the mesh of the filter is so fine that will hold
gasoline if there's no force applied to it.

TIA.

Bud Krueger
52TD
77MGB