New/Old MG Retrieval - MG 1100!

To: <mgs@Autox.Team.Net>
Subject: New/Old MG Retrieval - MG 1100!
From: "Michael Carnell" <carnellm@palmettobug.com>
Date: Mon, 4 Jan 1999 20:48:10 -0500
Sorry, but I just have to share this.  There is now an 1100 in my garage!  I
am sooooo happy - my wife is just kind of laughing at me.

The 1100 is in the garage, which puts my B outside.  Very unfortunate with
the weather as cold as it is, but it seemed like the best thing to do. I am
sure the B will let me know how bad this is too.

For those who are interested, the car was in Maryland and I am in
Charleston, SC.  I went to get the car this last weekend. My friend Mark and
I left Charleston at 7:45 Saturday morning.  We took it easy on the driving
as he had just had the transmission serviced on his Suburban. Plus, it was
New Years weekend, the police were out, and we had no desire to get in a
wreck or get a ticket.  We stopped numerous times along the way to check out
Wal-Mart, Target, Toys-R-Us, and Roses stores.  He is and I are both avid
die-cast car collectors, as well as being interested in other toys.  We
didn't run into any bad weather until we got to the northern side of
Richmond.  There the temperature was really dropping and the freezing rain
started.  We had to stop twice between Richmond and our hotel on the north
side of Washington to scrape ice of the windshield.  By the time we got to
the hotel it was nearly 11pm.  Over 15 hours for a 10 hour trip! But we were
having great fun.

I woke up during the night, probably about 3am, to the sound of high winds
and sleet outside our hotel.  We were on the top floor of a 9 story Holiday
Inn, and the wind was really whipping around.  But, when we woke up the next
morning it was about 40 degrees and only raining.  All the ice had either
melted or was melting.  We got the south side of Baltimore where the car was
by 9:15, and it the rain was starting to slack off.  By the time we had the
car loaded the rain was stopping.  As it turned out, the father of the guy I
was buying the car from also collected die-cast cars, so we went in to look
at the collection - an entirely seperate story.  By the time we were leaving
at 11am, the rain had completely stopped.  Getting back on the road, by the
time we cleared Washington and were heading back into Virginia, we had
beautiful blue skies and the temperature was in the mid-40s.  A very nice
day.

We continued looking for toy cars as we towed the 1100 home, and again we
made a long trip of it.  We finally pulled into Charleston at 10:45pm.

So, we went through 4 states and the District of Columbia, drove over 1200
miles, scavanged through at least 8 to 10 department stores, spent $47 on
diesel fuel, $16.50 on a hotel room (nice having a relative who works for
the chain), $15 on food, $100 on toys, and did it all in approximately 40
hours.  We had a blast.

Thanks for listening,

Michael

--
Michael Carnell - Charleston, SC
Collector of all things relating to MG 1100 and 1300 Sports Sedans