Re: Springtime Tune-up

To: "Andrew Errington" <ame@synaptics.com>, <mgs@Autox.Team.Net>
Subject: Re: Springtime Tune-up
From: "Neil Cotty" <neilc@tradesrv.com.au>
Date: Wed, 6 Jan 1999 12:02:11 +1000
Andrew,

>expect to see an air leak around the throttle shafts, and I'll be sad.  I
>also plan to solder the poppet valves shut.

I know a lot of people do this - but why? I would get pretty worried about
some of that solder dislodging, (my soldering sucks so perhaps this is a
personal failure! <G>) If you are rebushing the body or reaming the existing
bushes and fitting an oversize shaft, why not simply replace the throttle
plate with the earlier type - minus the poppet valve, I also went to fixed
FX needles (which require a different bush (removable) in the piston). I
don't know if Moss stocks these items or not but if they don't Bill
(www.sumidel.com) does and so will Joe Curto in New York. Contact me if you
want more info.

>have a lot to do to it (because nothing has been done) I'd like to get the
>best bang for my buck.

The Burgess books is good and has some interesting info on modifying the
throttle shafts for maximum airflow (can't see worth doing that unless
you're racing, but I did file down and loctite the grub screws..). I'd also
look at some general engine and blueprinting books, I've found more info in
those - not B specific but very useful.

Cheers,
Neil.
--