Re: Blind Driver Rally Was: Blackout at 60mph

To: "William M. Gilroy" <wmgilroy@lucent.com>
Subject: Re: Blind Driver Rally Was: Blackout at 60mph
From: Bill Schooler <schooler@erols.com>
Date: Wed, 06 Jan 1999 20:27:42 -0500
William M. Gilroy wrote:

> Bill Schooler wrote:
> >
> > On a personal note, I have a fairly severe hearing loss.  Picture that -
> > a blind navigator and a deaf driver...now there was a real challenge!
> >
> Bill,
> Your right, a blind navigator and a deaf driver would be real hard.  Here
> is my fix for the problem.  Let the blind guy drive, that way he will hear
> all of the instructions from you.  The should be in the form of "TURN LEFT
> NOW!   BRAKE! GAS! OH SH*T!!".  You should be the naviagtor since you can
> see all the landmarks.  Of course you will have to learn braille, or you
> could just have the driver read the instructions, its not like he has to
> watch the road.  Should work fine, trust me.  Oh yea, if a cop stops you
> two, just claim that the blind guy was the most sober, and you two were
> just trying to keep the roads safe.  Good luck.

This could work.  I got absolutely no sympathy when I asked for a
special handicap - but this idea has promise.  Actually, if we could
work out the insurance issues - there are bound to be some - and arrange
for the use of a large, empty parking lot (a high school, perhaps?) why
not set up a relatively easy gymkhana type course and give this a try?
You have no idea how much the navigators enjoy this event - for once
THEY are in charge and responsible for getting from one point to
another.  And to actually get a chance to drive a car?  I'm beginning to
like this more and more...

Bill Schooler