Another sick MGB

To: mgs@Autox.Team.Net
Subject: Another sick MGB
From: Jurgen Hartwig <gt0003a@prism.gatech.edu>
Date: Fri, 08 Jan 1999 14:21:43 -0800
Hi, all.  I haven't figured out the problem with the rotational free
play in my crank pulley, but I will be checking it out this weekend.

My brother's '78 MGB is a little sick, and being that I'm not an expert
of the Weber downdraft 36, I thought I'd run this one by you guys.
Problem is this:
After the temps started to drop this past December, the car began to
have problems with stalling.  It drives perfectly fine at speed, but
when you get out of the throttle AND put in the clutch and brake, the
engine stalls.  If he pushes only the clutch, it drops in idle some, and
when the brake is pressed independently, the idle again drops.  When
both are pressed, then the engine is dragged down enough to stall.  The
vehicle even has some problems with idling after getting out of
throttle.

We have tuned the carbs via the manual so that we get the highest and
smoothest vacuum at the manifold.  Here's the info my brother gave me
earlier today:

>got some numbers on my car.  Dwell 58-59, timing 20 deg @950, 17 inches of
>mercury >vac @950.  I'm going into town today to get a set of points and a
>condensor,  >gonna ask to see if they have a vac advance, ya never know.  I'm
>also going to >order the crane today.

Correction; that should be 17" of vacuum as referenced to air, not
mercury.
Also, the timing is advanced as so, because the vacuum advance piece
does not work.
During other parts of the year, namely warmer weather, the car runs
fine.  Points are somewhat fine, with slight pitting.  That's why they
are being replaced.

We've pulled a vacuum on the brake booster and found it held up
perfectly find, so there are no vacuum leaks there.

Any hints?

Thanks a bunch once again
Jay