cylinder heads

To: mgs@Autox.Team.Net
Subject: cylinder heads
From: Gaetke <gaetke@ix.netcom.com>
Date: Sun, 10 Jan 1999 12:15:55 -0800
        I guess I've found an opportunity to show my ignorance.  I know little
nothing about cylinder heads, and their various options.  I guess this is
the time to learn, being in the market for one, so here goes:

        What are the advantages of (and what type of driver should get):

        bronze guides?

        hardened seats?

        stellite exaust valves?

        Do valve seals just cut oil consumption, and do they require any of the
above modifications to be made practical?  Worth it?

        What does one do to a head to make it ready for unleaded fuel?

        If the main advantage to all of these things is a longer time between
valve jobs, how long does a valve job with none of these features last?
with all of them?

        If it matters, I'm not going to put a ton of miles on this car each
year,
but those miles will include four drives of 900 miles to and from school,
so my primary concern is failure during a long drive.  In fact, that will
make up a large part of the mileage put on the car each year.  How does
that effect what I should be done to my head?

        I want long and detailed answers! :)  I know some of you have to be
passionate about cylinder heads...  I feel like I need my own head
magnafluxed (couldn't resiste the pun).

        TIA,

  -Matt Gaetke