Gas Station P*ss off, Bourne MA (long)

To: mgs@triumph.cs.utah.edu
Subject: Gas Station P*ss off, Bourne MA (long)
From: dresden@tiac.net
Date: Sun, 10 Jan 1999 01:09:35 GMT
 This might be MG related, if you drive your MG through the vicinity of
Bourne, MA, USA. Sorry, it's off topic for most, but wanted to rant...

Headed home from the Cape this evening, stopped at the Mobil station at the
Bourne rotary. This kid at the gas station comes out and offers to fill up
the tank even though it's a self-service island. I think that's nice of
him, as it's rather breezy and wet outside, and just swipe my credit card
through and get back in the car. He fills up the tank, then he asks, do you
want your receipt? And usually I say no, but something in the sound of his
voice (hope? dismay?) prompts me to say yes, and to look up at the total
for the sale. FIFTEEN gallons of gas this kid had supposedly put into my
NINE gallon tank, which wasn't even near empty, for a grand total of
$19.52. I pointed this out to him. "I don't know why it did that" he says.
"There's nothing I can do about it". "Well," I say,"where's the manager?"
The "manager" has got maybe a year and a half seniority on the other kid.
"The pump just does that sometimes" he says, and looks at me blankly.
"Well, what are you going to do about it?" I ask. "I don't know" he says,
"it's been doing that all day." "No", I say, "What are you going to do
about the money you owe me?" "I don't know what I can do." he says. "Well,
what HAVE you been doing about it?" "What do you mean?" he asks. I'm
getting pissed by now. "What have you done for all the other people this
has happened to?" "It hasn't happened to anyone else" he says. "You just
told me the pump has been doing this all day."I say. "I guess I can give
you some money back...How much do you think it should have cost?" he asks.
"Eight or nine dollars." "How about I give you back five?" "That should be
more like ten." He gives me ten dollars back. I ask if this town has a
department of weights and measures. He says there's nothing wrong with the
meter, it's just that it won't stop pumping, and that it pumped all that
gas out onto the ground, overfilling the tank. I look at the ground, and at
the side of my car. No gas, not even an extra odor of gas, other than
what's normal to a gas station. "I don't see any gas there, let alone over
six gallons of gas " I tell him. "I saw it, that's what it did" he says. So
I say whatever, not thinking to ask him if he saw it doing that why he
didn't do something about it, and then get out of there. That's my big piss
off story of the day, this dipsh*t has been ripping people off all day not
caring whether he uses a faulty pump or not, and if I hadn't noticed, would
have let me pay twenty bucks for gas that either wasn't pumped, or was
pumped onto the ground and somehow evaporated in two minutes flat in forty
degree weather.

Happy new year everyone.

Nevin
78 B