Re: Plea for Brit car related info...

To: mgs@triumph.cs.utah.edu
Subject: Re: Plea for Brit car related info...
From: dresden@tiac.net
Date: Sat, 9 Jan 1999 21:00:57 -0500 (EST)
>Hello all,
>        I come to the list asking for a hand with a school project. I must
>write an 8
>page long report on a subject of my choice. I chose The Decline of the British
>Auto Industry. I could most likely fill the required amount of pages with text
>from my own mind, but the teachers deem it necessary for me to have at least
>15 resources of information. If any could point out any books, magazine
>articles, newspaper articles, etc., it would help greatly. Thank you for your
>time,
>
>--Danny Burket
>OddCarLuvr@AOL.com

It has always seemed to me that the problems of the British auto industry,
currency issues aside, pretty much mirrored the problems of the American
auto industry, upon which a pretty good book was written by Brock Yates.
(I'm talking about labor problems, poor statistical, inventory, and quality
control methods; the actual cars are different, with different advantages
and problems).  I would also check out auto magazines (R&T, C&D,
MotorTrend, etc) and business magazines from the library from '79-'81
years; when MG and Triumph ceased production, they probably ran some decent
analyses of the problems the idustry had had in the last few years. And
almost anything by or about W. Edwards Deming will give a good background
on the differences in manufacturing and quality control practices around
the world.

Good luck with the report. It is these types of studies that actually made
me think about pursuing (choke, gasp, cough) an MBA once upon a time.

Nevin