Re: MGB A-Arm Bushings

To: waltcpa@sierra.net, MGSMGBGT@aol.com, EricSsmc@aol.com,
Subject: Re: MGB A-Arm Bushings
From: RJohn50603@aol.com
Date: Sun, 10 Jan 1999 10:43:20 EST
In a message dated 1/9/99 2:12:56 PM EST, waltcpa@sierra.net writes:

<< I keep seeing reference to V-8 bushings and poly bushings.  Are they one
and
 the same?

 Walt Goddard
 waltcpa@sierra.net
 77B >>

Walt,

The V-8 bushings are a one piece per A arm (4 per car versus 8) with a steel
sleeve moulded into the I D of the rubber bushing. The rubber itself seems to
be the same as the originals.

The poly bushings are two piece per A arm (8 per car like the originals), but
they are made of a very hard polyurethane plastic.

The people that make the polyurethane A arm bushings also make bushings to
replace the upper rubber bushings on the dampeners, the rubber bushings on the
sway bars, the rubber bushings on the rear springs, etc.

They are sold for to address performance and increased life and may not give
as comfortable a ride as the originals. This is a bit of an "oxymoron" in my
book. The MGB and MGA, etc were built as a performance car in their time.

The old rubber bushings simply can't last because rubber can't stand up to the
abrasion that they are subjected to as they must slip and twist between steel
parts.

I was really disapointed that the V-8 bushings only lasted four years on my B
(an everyday driver). The inner steel sleeve froze (rusted) to the pivot
wishbone and the bush had to slip on the OD rather than the ID. They froze
together despite a very small amount of grease I applied during the
installation to help prevent this. I also used silicone on the OD to help the
installation which should have helped when the ID froze. I don't think I'll go
back to the V-8 bushings. The originals would be better in my opinion as there
is no steel sleeve to freeze. I feel that the steel sleeve seems like a good
idea to help extend wear, but isn't. A sleeve of something else that wouldn't
rust to the steel pivot wishbone would.

A failed V-8 bushing puts the pivot wishbone at replacement risk. These are
nearly $100 each and should last forever except if the steel sleeve from the
V-8 bushing can't be removed. I had a VERY difficult time getting those
sleeves off without damaging the pivot wishbone on the first side I did last
week. If we used road salt here in Dallas, I don't think I'd have gotten them
off.

R. Johnson - Dallas