Ice and the hair of the dog (a trip report)

To: "MG List" <Mgs@triumph.cs.utah.edu>
Subject: Ice and the hair of the dog (a trip report)
From: "Mike Lishego" <mikesl@tartan.sapc.edu>
Date: Mon, 11 Jan 1999 01:39:54 -0500
Howdy all,
    My X-mas break ended Saturday, which explains why I wasn't out
doing anything!  Actually, all the snow and crap in western PA had
the MG grounded too, so that helped.  As I posted earlier, I wanted
to be sure that my car didn't freeze, so I sprayed WD-40 on my door
handles and trunk locks, only to see it freeze...Not a good start
for the trip, methinks...
    I finally got to use the luggage rack and had to unceremoniously
cover Lawrie in two plastic garbage bags to keep the dirt off of
him.  ;)  Any listers have a better way to cover their luggage to
save it from the elements?
    So, I was off this morning on my trip.  All was going well
until, once again, the turnpike demons struck.  I was coming up a
hill, towards a tunnel when I let off the gas pedal to scrub off
some speed before entering the tunnel.  When I did, the pedal stayed
in the same place and the engine revs increased (I had just crested
the hill.)  So, with a clean lane in front of me, I tried to keep my
speed under three digits, but my brakes weren't really helping that
juggernaut of MOWOG power that I've got (no need to comment on the
elaboration...)  Seriously though, I did shoot out of that tunnel
traveling 90-95 mph - now I know what a bullet sees when it's shot
out of a gun!  I went to downshift, only to watch my revs skyrocket,
so I shut off the car and coasted to the shoulder of the road.  I
began to feel stupid for not keeping a spare throttle cable with me
until I popped the hood...There was my carb linkage, frozen solid -
I forgot that I hosed it down with WD-40 earlier in my break to free
up the movement.  The small amount of ice chipped off, and I was on
my way with no real ill effects.  I can only assume that since I had
held the pedal in about the same position for a while, it enabled
the linkage to freeze up, even though it's right over the
manifolds...
    Continuing on, I tuned the car once in VA to lower the idle.  I
was blowing along a fairly deserted highway when another
long-standing Lishego driving theory was tested...It seems that no
matter what I car or truck I drive, people will pull out in front of
me, cut me off, or change lanes into me AT LEAST ONCE PER DAY!  I
kid you not, my friends noticed this too - it's almost absurd...So,
there I was, driving the 'stealth' MGB, and a large black Labrador
dog steps into my lane of traffic and looks the other way.  I have
about 25 feet to stop, and I realize if I hit this dog, it will
probably total the car AND come flying through the windshield.  I go
into panic stop mode and see that I will hit the dog - no way around
it, lest I toss the car into the woods or into another vehicle.
About two feet from the car, the mutt jumps back out of the way, but
not fast enough.  I heard a light 'clump' sound and stopped the car,
thinking I had hit the dog...Well, it was OK, it ran off into the
woods.  The MGB?  Like a tank!  (Of course, there was black dog hair
stuck in the last chrome nut on my bumper...)  No damage to the car,
but I wish I had that Nazareth song to play as I drove on...I'll
tell that dog who he's messin' with!  ;)
    The rest of the trip went well, especially after I discovered
the panel that lest in fresh air by your feet.  Mine works, but
until I stopped for gas, I never realized that it didn't shut the
whole way!  Gee, that's where that cold air is coming from!  The gas
mileage was spectacular again, getting 32 mpg on one tank and 24 on
the other (pre-adjustment).  I'd say it was successful...11 hours to
do 580 miles of cross-country travel (including stops for dogs, gas,
and ice).
    Anyway, I'm back in NC, as usual...The MGB gets a bath as soon
as possible - I don't think salt is good for the bodywork! ;)

Michael S. Lishego
http://www.geocities.com/MotorCity/Speedway/3706/