Re: Ice and the hair of the dog (a trip report)

To: mgs@triumph.cs.utah.edu
Subject: Re: Ice and the hair of the dog (a trip report)
From: Gaetke <gaetke@ix.netcom.com>
Date: Tue, 12 Jan 1999 09:19:47 -0800
At 01:54 AM 1/11/1999 -0500, you wrote:
>  Some carbs incorporate de-icing water passages
>just for this reason. A lesser failure mode is sometimes
>the piston freezes in place. You still can close
>the throttle so it's not a safety issue, but with the
>piston stuck open the idle is awful or nonexistant until it
>thaws and drops.

        Airplanes with piston engines have carb heaters for the same reason.
Another idea they had that would adapt well to MGs is their use of a
second, completely isolated ignition system in case of failure.  Two plugs
per cylinder, two distributers, two coils, etc.  Finally we could laugh in
the face of Lucas... :)

  -Matt G.