Bushings & Sway Bar (too long)

To: mgs@triumph.cs.utah.edu
Subject: Bushings & Sway Bar (too long)
From: Eric Erickson <eric@erickson.on.net>
Date: Mon, 11 Jan 1999 23:35:15 +0000
Well... never one to rest on my laurels and with my "Long Drive" rapidly
approaching, today was the day for the front suspension. V8 bushes and
3/4" anti-sway bar were the order of the day (or as variously described
"bushings" and "sway bar" - hey we speak differently here in Oz) .

My verdict ... nothing short of fantastic!!!  What a difference!

I now no longer am threated with dislocated wrists when running over
bumpy roads or railroad crossings - previously I thought something was
going to shake loose - and now when I point the car somewhere and
accelerate... it goes there.  No slop!  A quick test motorkhana in an
(empty) parking lot convinced me, with the only things left flexing all
over the place were sloppy sidewalls - which will be no-more shortly.

One slight change of plan came with local advice that the 3/4" front bar
would be *too* rigid for local daily driving so I went for the GT bar.
Feels pretty darn good to me but of course not knowing any different
then maybe it could be better - but I can hardly see how.  She sat
wonderfully flat through some pretty dramatic moves in that (empty)
parking lot and the steering didn't seem hugely stiffer.

OK, next opening of the wallet comes with a new right rear hub!  Yep, I
decided that it was time for the new hub, on advice from this list and a
subsequent inspection which could have seen me slice open my finger on
my current splines (and with some more trusted "local" advice) - no flat
top on these splines.  I was told that I could get another 12 months out
of them... or not, but with the "Long Drive" I just couldn't be bothered
spending the whole time listening to and worrying about that dreaded
CLONK (and/or constantly swinging the big mallet at that back wheel).

I think I am going to love driving this little yellow beasty after
this.  Not that I didn't before but, as I have said previously, I didn't
know any better.  I just thought that these old sports cars were rattly
and slightly sloppy... NOW I know better.

So, oh trusted list people.  I have skinny 165 tyres on now... I was
going to go 175's but believe that I can (on the current wire wheels) go
185.  For daily street driving (and one "Long Drive" planned) what is
your advice on my new tyres?  What do you think about "low profile"
tyres?

Eric
'68MGB MkII

PS Yay! I met another lister last night... gday Scotty... who nominated
my membership for the local MG Car Club and who (I hope) didn't mind
standing in the rain and dark to talk about my plans and problems!