Valve spring compressor

To: "MG List" <mgs@autox.team.net>
Subject: Valve spring compressor
From: "Neil Cotty" <neilc@tradesrv.com.au>
Date: Wed, 13 Jan 1999 11:55:52 +1000
Hi all,

I bought a valve spring compressor a month back and tried to get this thing
to work on the weekend. This is my first time at removing valves so bear
with me please! <G>

It was a std 8" C clamp style made in China (good qual-i-ty)  - even so it
cost me $60.00 AUD. There was a more expensive type at around $110.00 but
I'd already spent way to much money so I figured this thing must work.
Someone please tell me what I'm doing wrong.

I attached the side with the 'cup' to the valve (I'm chucking the valves)
and the other side to the collar of the valve spring. When you tighten from
the cup side the part that pushes down on the collar tend to distort and it
makes it difficult to stop it from distorting too much that when the collar
starts to depress (read further..)  it catches on the inner part - some sort
of retainer (sorry don't know tech names yet). That really isn't the problem
though, the main problem is I can't must the force necessary to even
compress the spring a little bit. Am I supposed to do this with the handle
or with the screw mechanism? I figured the screw mechanism, and the handle
was for locking only? The little arm to turn the screw is teensy, no way to
get the leverage.

Can someone give me a newbie lesson on how to operate this? Someone
suggested the valve - err is it keeper - may need a bit of a whack to help
release it? Or should I just go buy the other type of compressor. Its
nothing like a C clamp, much smaller you just put it over the top of spring.
Looks like you could even do it still on the car, I guess if you weren't
replacing the valve for some reason.

Help!
Neil.
--