Re: Valve spring compressor

To: "Neil Cotty" <neilc@tradesrv.com.au>, "MG List" <mgs@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: Valve spring compressor
From: Barney Gaylord <barneymg@ntsource.com>
Date: Wed, 13 Jan 1999 01:35:36
At 11:55 AM 1/13/99 +1000, Neil Cotty wrote:
>.... Someone suggested the valve - err is it keeper - may need a bit of a
whack to help release it?

Yup, they sometimes stick (often).

>Or should I just go buy the other type of compressor. Its nothing like a C
clamp, much smaller you just put it over the top of spring. Looks like you
could even do it still on the car, I guess if you weren't replacing the
valve for some reason.

The type that works from the spring side only hooks into the coils of the
spring to pull on the spring.  It will absolutely not work with dual valve
springs.  Your '70 model should have dual springs, so no go.

Barney Gaylord
1958 MGA with an attitude