Re: loc-tite

To: Gaetke <gaetke@ix.netcom.com>
Subject: Re: loc-tite
From: Jurgen Hartwig <gt0003a@prism.gatech.edu>
Date: Thu, 14 Jan 1999 14:46:20 -0800

Gaetke wrote:

>         My engine reassembly process should start tomorrow when my parts get
>here.
>  I was in a store today, mostly just looking around, and bought a tube of
> loc-tite for reassembly, since I've seen it mentioned on the list several
> times.
>
>         Where exactly do you use this stuff?  Are there some threads on which
>you
> shouldn't use it?  Some that require it more than others?  The more
> specific the answers, the better, as far as I'm concerned...

Matt, I wouldn't use this stuff on the engine's interior bolts and
studs.  The only thing you need inside your engine is assembly lube, cam
lube (for new cams), and gasket sealers.  There are really no bolts that
should come undone during normal use, and if they are prone to come
undone, like my crank pulley bolt, there is usually a locking tab to
keep it from occurring.  IN my case, I never knew there was a locking
tab, so of course, mine came undone.

Matt, if you get new studs for the engine, remember to throw out the
specs for the original bolts/studs.  Companies like ARP will include the
assembly lube or ask that you use oil during assembly.  The lubricants
basically decrease friction significantly between the threads.  Such
lubricants may reduce the friction and increase the clamping force by as
much as 75%, therefore meaning that you need to use less torque during
tightening.

Better than loc-tite would be a good, or even a bad set of tap and
dies.  These are invaluable during reassembly.  Many bolts, captive
nuts, etc. are not wasted and can easily be cleaned up with the tap and
die.  I shudder at the stuff from Harbor Freight, but even a crappy
Taiwanese tap and die set from them will save you time and money.

I would also suggest you visit your local specialty fastener store and
stock up on a good assortment of stainless nuts and bolts.  I obtained
some stainless 3/4" long bolts for my motor mounts.  Good use of the
stainless hardware here and also in your exhaust system will prevent the
next owner or yourself from cursing the rust that has infested your
fasteners.  There is no need to worry about galvanic corrosion.  The
exhaust will still corrode at the same rate, but at least your bolts
won't.

Take care
Jay