Re: loc-tite

To: mgs@autox.team.net, gaetke@ix.netcom.com
Subject: Re: loc-tite
From: s4usea@fanniemae.com (Scott Allen)
Date: Fri, 15 Jan 1999 09:27:39 -0500
>gaetke@ix.netcom.com
>
>       I guess maybe I should ask a more specific question if I want a more
> specific answer.  Would you use it on main bearing cap nuts?  big-end
> bearing bolts (mine have lock tabs though, so maybe I don't need it)
> Backplate bolts?  Frontplate bolts?  Camshaft nut?  Crank bolt?  Flywheel
> bolts?  Clutch bolts?  Back of the accelerator (anyone seen the original
> Blues Brothers?)?  Would you use it on every threaded fitting going back on
> the engine?
>
>       Not to snuff out the discussion on how to use loc-tite, because I know I
> didn't know most of that before, but I still need to know where to use it.
>
>       Thanks again,

My inclination is to say none of the above, or rather, having torn down
and built many engines in my day, (mostly Alfa's) I've never seen it used,
nor have I seen it ever been recommended to be used on internal engine parts.

To digress, (but to the point) back in the days I would occasionally
be called upon in my chosen profession to dismantle or place things
under water.  There were many times when I was very, very thankful to
someone, somewhere who had the foresight use loctite in assembling
whatever I was working on.  There always seemed to be some guiding
priciples that I've kept in mind when I do my work, (my opinion only,
YMMV):

        1.  Loctite is usually used on external parts that are subject
        to oxidation or corrosion.

        2.  Loctite is used on bolts that may be subject the "backing
        off" due to mechanical vibration.

but,

        3.  If the nut/bolt will be exposed to heat, it will soften the
        loctite rendering it useless, and eventually breaking it down,
        (Note that there is a special high-stength loc-tite that you need
        to virtually use a torch on in order to soften it enough to
        get the bolt/nut apart).

        4.  In the case of #3, loc-tite is not used where it may migrate
        off the bolt/nut into a place that it will clog/gunk something up.

So, I use it on stuff like alternator and water pump bolts, and keep it
off of the caps and bearings.

Hope this helps?