MGA 1962 1600 MK II - More Brakes

To: mgs@autox.team.net
Subject: MGA 1962 1600 MK II - More Brakes
From: prsmith@navnet.net
Date: Sat, 16 Jan 1999 08:40:12 -0400
I am still beavering away on my brakes.

I did not get any response to my previous question regarding the need to
remove the hub from the rotor before getting the rotor turned?  As a
gneral rule, must one separate the two for turning?

Seems like it is much cheaper to use the MGB pistons (C$19.95) instead of
the MGA pistons (C$119.65) on those front disks.  I understand the centre
piston guide pin installed on the MGA caliper is not really needed and
that one can remove the pin and thus use the more readily available MGB
pistons.

Can anyone give me any tips they may have learned while doing doing this
operation on their MGA?  Is pulling better that cutting?  If cutting, does
the cut have to be smooth across the bottom of the cylinder?  If pulling,
will vice grips serve as the preferred tool of destruction?  Should one
dismantle the caliper before extracting the pin?

Thanks for the help

Preston