Re: MGA 1962 1600 MK II - More Brakes

To: prsmith@navnet.net
Subject: Re: MGA 1962 1600 MK II - More Brakes
From: Bill Schooler <schooler@erols.com>
Date: Sat, 16 Jan 1999 16:54:25 -0500
prsmith@navnet.net wrote:

> I am still beavering away on my brakes.
>
> I did not get any response to my previous question regarding the need to
> remove the hub from the rotor before getting the rotor turned?  As a
> gneral rule, must one separate the two for turning?
>
> Seems like it is much cheaper to use the MGB pistons (C$19.95) instead of
> the MGA pistons (C$119.65) on those front disks.  I understand the centre
> piston guide pin installed on the MGA caliper is not really needed and
> that one can remove the pin and thus use the more readily available MGB
> pistons.
>
> Can anyone give me any tips they may have learned while doing doing this
> operation on their MGA?  Is pulling better that cutting?  If cutting, does
> the cut have to be smooth across the bottom of the cylinder?  If pulling,
> will vice grips serve as the preferred tool of destruction?  Should one
> dismantle the caliper before extracting the pin?
>
> Thanks for the help
>
> Preston
> |-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-==-=--
> | Our 62 MGA 1600 MK II and 80 MGB LE are waiting for warm weather
> | Betti Ann and Preston Smith in the Head of St Margaret's Bay, Nova Scotia,
>Canada.
> | email: prsmith@navnet.net

Preston,

This will have to serve as an interim reply, since I don't have time at
the moment to go into all the gory details.  I have recently
accomplished this task and will find the time tomorrow to go thru the
process with you and the list.  You might try taking a look at John
Twist's web site, in the technical section, as he may have included this
procedure there.  Try http://www.universitymototsltd.com (I THINK!)

--
*Bill Schooler      *Check the MGCC Wash DC Centre Web Page
*Woodbridge, VA     *http://members.aol.com/mgccwdcc/