Re: Hey? how about new show catagories?

To: Paul Tegler <wizardz@amdyne.net>
Subject: Re: Hey? how about new show catagories?
From: xyzabcde@earthlink.net
Date: Mon, 18 Jan 1999 15:09:20 +0000
Paul Tegler said:

> It's the upkeep and style that should be
> awarded. Not the tuck away. Add a few commoner classes, and
> I'm sure you'd see even more cars come out of the wood work.

The San Diego British Car Day Show has a category called "Best British Beater."
I won with an MG 1100 in, let's see..., '96.  It was the proudest day of my
life.  Second proudest day was when I finally graduated from college at the age
of 31.

The British Car Day the year before, I was beaten out by a frame on a trailer.
That's hardly what I call a beater.  I'm still bitter about that one ;-).

There's always an award for longest distance travelled, also.  I think it should
count extra if you drove all the way with the top down and have the chapped face
to prove it.  And contestants should get extra points for each roadside repair
and speeding tickets, with bonus points for amusing stories about these
incidents.

I agree with Paul that there should be an award for the highest mileage car.  I
would add awards for the cleverest side-of-the-road repair and the most miles on
a car in the last year.

Show cars are nice to look at, but MG's are not Rolls Royces; they were meant to
be driven.  Our shows should reflect this.

Just my $.02

Denise Thorpe