RE: 76 MGB transmission mount

To: Tyson Sherman <mts3@ra.msstate.edu>
Subject: RE: 76 MGB transmission mount
From: "Dodd, Kelvin" <doddk@mossmotors.com>
Date: Mon, 18 Jan 1999 16:26:34 -0800
Tyson:

        First of all dry assemble the v mount to the crossmember and ensure
all the bolt holes line up.  I struggled for hours once with one that turned
out to have a bent v mount.  Make sure the V is bolted right way round
(don't ask me which way that is).  Assemble the mount with the two rubber
side mounts, but leave all the bolts loose.
        Next, run a coarse thread tap into the gearbox threads.  Again,
struggle for hours only to find out the threads are buggered.  Get the
threads as clean as possible, so you can easily hand tighten the bolts.

        Now.  Once the trans. is in the car and the engine mounts bolted up,
let the trans. tail rest on the frame crossmember.  With the trans hanging
down there is a bit more clearance to reach the bolts.  Offer up the
assembled cross member, sitting it on your tummy is the easiest way, make
sure that it looks like it is lined up correctly.  Now put a small jack
under the x member and offer it up to the trans.  The jack is used to give a
little bit more push, not to lift the trans up.  You should still be able to
wiggle everything about.  What you want to do now is get the two bolts on
one side started.  There should be enough room to wiggle around the
overdrive to get the rear one in first.  Once the two are started, put the
jack under the other half of the x member to lever the other side up using
the two installed bolts as the pivot point.  There should be enough give for
the bolt holes to be lined up one at a time, again put the more difficult
rear bolt in first.  Now the four trans. bolts are tightened, one flat at a
time in the rear cases.  Patience, say a few mantras.  Tighten up all the
rest of the mounting bolts, then use the jack to lift the assembly up to the
frame mounting location.  Again, install all 4 frame bolts before
tightening.

        Good luck, have fun.  Good music and lots of light make the job more
enjoyable.

Kelvin.