Polyurethane "A" arm bushings vs V-8 bushings

To: mgs@autox.team.net
Subject: Polyurethane "A" arm bushings vs V-8 bushings
From: RJohn50603@aol.com
Date: Mon, 18 Jan 1999 22:34:21 EST
Hi all,

Well I finished putting polyurethane "A" arm bushings on both sides of my B
this weekend. I had V-8 bushings on for about four years and a couple of
months ago I started to get a pull to one side when applying the brakes. There
was no problem with the brakes.

Apparently, the bushings had softened and allowed the whole "A" arm to shift
rearward enough to upset the steering geometry. The old bushings looked fine,
but the problem went away when they were replaced with the newer style
polyurethane.

One person who responded a couple of weeks ago when I only had one side done
said his car rode too stiff after going to these harder bushings. He had also
installed springs from a rubber bumper car to increase tire clearance. I have
stock (original) springs.

I can't say that I can tell any difference other than the car now tracks
straight when stopping. I hope the new bushings last longer. In any case they
wont rust to the wishbone pivot like two of the V-8 bushings did.

By the way, if you have corrosion from V-8 bushings as I did on the first side
I did, you can make a nice sleeve from some hard drawn 5/8" O D copper tubing.
The original O D of the wishbone pivot is 5/8" (.650"). Saves $100. Just don't
turn too much material off of the wishbone pivots.

R. Johnson - Dallas