stammer at speed - done it all!

To: "MG LIST" <mgs@autox.team.net>, "MG list" <mgs@autox.team.net>
Subject: stammer at speed - done it all!
From: "Paul Tegler " <wizardz@amdyne.net>
Date: Tue, 19 Jan 1999 23:28:00 -0500
OB's a bat-out-of-hell accelerating
but stammers at cruise

Since I first posted this problem...
the engine has been swapped (and O/D trans)
new STOCK fuel pump installed
new AUD405 carbs with AAA needles red springs K&N filters
rebuilt dist (multiple times)
pressure tested the manifold (off the engine) no leaks
installed a vacuum gauge to monitor the situation
new vac adv unit.
Gunson's color tune and Gastester have both been used
to tune

To make sure crankcase pressure wasn't causing fuel starvation
Tonight I disconnected the tappet cover vent pipe from the carbs
and plugged the carb ports
disconnected the float vents from the carbon canister
completely re-routed all vac lines and fuel lines in the engine bay.
checked the floats again in the NEW carbs

IT STILL stammers -- pull out the choke at speed and you
can feel the power pick up and smooth out
WHAT's UP? This is getting ridiculous - but I'm the type
that just won't give up

Could this problem still be related to the velocity of the air entering
the carbs with the minimal limiting of the K&Ns
What if I added velocity stacks inside the K&N's
(would have to press fit them into the orig base plates)
PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE SOMEBODY ASK SOMEONE
NOT ON THE LIST ABOUT THIS!
I'LL PAY FOR THE INFO WHOEVER COME UP WITH A SOLUTION!

TIA

Paul Tegler
OB - 1973 MGBGT (Blaze Red, (orange))
YB - 1973 MGBGT (Primrose Yellow)
Millersville, MD (South of Baltimore, North of Annapolis)
wizardz@amdyne.net
http://www.amdyne.net/~ptegler/mgmain.htm