empty fuel filter

To: "MGS" <mgs@autox.team.net>, "MG list" <mgs@autox.team.net>
Subject: empty fuel filter
From: "Paul Tegler " <wizardz@amdyne.net>
Date: Wed, 20 Jan 1999 00:02:34 -0500
I installed a clear fuel filter so I could keep track of this
high speed stammer/stumble
(trying to see if it's fuel starvation)

It empty but the car runs all day long! what's up

I disconnected the filter and filled the filter with a big
hypodermic, filled the hoses and hooked everything back up

after an hour or two of running the engine while I played with this stumble
at speed problem
I noticed the filter was drying up again.

QUESTION:
How can the filter fill with air, if the carbs continuously get gas and the
vehicle doesn't die?

I checked all connections from the tank to the filter..... dry as a bone on
the outside
where could the air be coming from?  weird !