Re: empty fuel filter

To: "Skye Poier" <skye@ffwd.bc.ca>, "Dodd, Kelvin" <doddk@mossmotors.com>
Subject: Re: empty fuel filter
From: "Neil Cotty" <neilc@tradesrv.com.au>
Date: Thu, 21 Jan 1999 14:03:54 +1000
Skye,

>its full of fuel with only a very small air space at the top of the filter.
>Its not exactly clear, but the plastic is semi-transparant and you can see

I switched to a clear filter some months ago. My fuel level will only go to
*just* over the height of the exit point for the tube. ie over a 1/4 of the
filter appears to have air. I can't see the problem so long as the level is
over the exit tube. I have no stumble etc or fuel related problems.

Lawrie - you out there? Can you explain? Why does the filter not fill to the
top? Got something to do with the vented fuel system - ie filler cap,
evaporative loss control system with the vapor seperator etc? Weren't
earlier systems sealed-pressurised, and this caused a saftey issue, hence
the change to the vented fuel cap or vapor seperator-ELC?

I believe there were three systems after talking with my local MG shop some
months back:

1. Sealed filler cap.
2. Vented filler cap.
3. Sealer filler cap, altered gas tank, vapor seperator-canister =
(Evaporative Loss Control system) - Late US Market.

Do 2 & 3 do not create a fully pressurised system, hence low filter level?
Just a guess.

Cheers,
Neil.
--
Neil Cotty - Sydney, Australia
1970 MG B GT / 1959 MG A 1600 Mk1 / 1956 AH 100/4 BN2