Orange Peel?

To: Arthur Pfenninger <APFENN@dss1.co.erie.ny.us>,
Subject: Orange Peel?
From: "Wakefield, Glenn" <Glenn.Wakefield@Jacobs.com>
Date: Mon, 25 Jan 1999 04:53:15 -0800
I'm still trying to prep the body for paint.  After a very lengthy
discussion with the local paint shop, they talked me into a base / clear of
acrylic enamel.  However that isn't my problem.  I shot the primer over the
weekend.  I wore the correct respirator etc for the job.  When I finished it
felt like 100 grit sandpaper.  I guess this is the famous orange peel.  It
is wet sanding nicely with 400 grit paper.  However, I would prefer that the
base coat not do this.  How do adjust the paint gone to paint a smooth coat?
I ended up buying a Craftsman HVLP gun.  Suction feed, with two adjustments
on the back, one for pattern and one for paint quantity.  Any idea which one
I need to adjust?  I'm using a 5 HP, 25 gallon compressor.

On another note.  Can I sand the base after I shoot it?  What grit sandpaper
do I use?  How about the clear coat?

Please forward any comments directly to me, as I am on the digest.

Thanks for the help.

Glenn
(who's beginning to realize why he has never down body work before)

'73 B, in primer
'97 T100