Re: MGC/MGB Colors

To: "Paul Washburn" <walruzuma@yahoo.com>, <mgs@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: MGC/MGB Colors
From: "Scotty" <scotty@dove.net.au>
Date: Sun, 31 Jan 1999 11:39:53 +0930

On Saturday, 30 January Paul wrote

http://www.qis.net/~socs/mg26.jpg
>of a '69 MGC GT. This color seems a shade or two lighter than what I
>know as Mineral Blue. My question is this. Did MGC's have different color
>options than MGB's? If so, does anyone have a list or know what the color
of >the car in the photo is?

Paul,
          the GT models did have different paint colors. The GT's had two
metallic colors that were Metallic Golden Beige and the one that could be
the one on the C-GT in the picture you saw. Metallic Riviera Silver Blue.
This option of metallic colors was withrawn in late '68 Nov/Dec. Optional on
the MGB-GT on the 68 model. Only two blues were available in the '69 year
model range Mineral Blue and and the metallic already mentioned. However the
car may have been repainted any of the colors for MG, or to the owners
fancy!! '70 color blues were Bermuda Blue and Royal Blue, in '71 Midnight
Blue and Teal Blue. I'd ask your friendly paint purveyor to mix up a sample
of the Metallic [ which looks like the color in the picture, to my
unpracticed eye ]  I did this with my 'C' roadster when I restored it years
ago, and had to mix around ten different batches of paint to find the
formula for Snowberry White. The base white color had changed in the time
and it wasn't until we used the old base white that it was the right color.
If you can contact the owner of the car this could save you a hhole head of
detective work for sure. IMHO the car in the photo is a drop dead georgeous
blue.

There I go raving on again.

Regards,

Scotty,