Something stupid I'll admit to. <G>

To: "MG List" <mgs@autox.team.net>
Subject: Something stupid I'll admit to. <G>
From: "Neil Cotty" <neilc@tradesrv.com.au>
Date: Tue, 2 Feb 1999 15:59:43 +1000
Hi all,

I just thought I'd relate a couple of problems I had dismantling my block
that I'd like to go over if anyone else (newbie) is doing the same thing.

Drilling out the Oilways. There are two of these running parallel through
the block, from front plate to back plate regions. They are plugged at the
front and back of the block by a brass plug. John Twist recommends using a
small drill then stepping to the final size. My mistake: I used the small
drill then tried to go for the larger sized drill. This doesn't really work
because the large drill has trouble cutting the brass. I ended up scoring
the outside of the block - very slightly - on one hole before I realised
what I was doing wrong. I ended up using a couple of different drill sizes
between the smallest and finally was able to drill the plug out with the
largest size (see John Twists site for more info
http://www.universitymotorsltd.com ). The plug will actually lock on to the
end of the drill when you make it though to the back of the plug. ie the
plug comes out attached to the drill as the drill is slightly smaller than
the plug.

Punching out the plugs on the other side of the oilway. According to JT, you
drill out two plugs, and punch the other two out with steel rods.
Unfortunately the steel rods JT mentions are really too thick and may bind
on the walls of the oilways. I managed to drive the two  plugs out using a
8mm rod and even this was too thick and it's currently stuck in one of the
oilways (!). The motor is still on a stand so I'll have to wait till it's
off to bash the rod out the other end with a long screwdriver. So I figure
go for 6mm or less steel rod. Just IMO.

Thats it for my bungles. <G> Apart from that, the Welch (freeze) plugs came
out easy. Drilled three small holes into the center of the plugs, drove a
chisel into the plug, twisted and they came out. I won't say how it stuffed
my brand new chisel. What a joke, I thought those things were supposed to be
tough!! The most time consuming thing in dismantly the block (for me) was
removing all the mains studs! Phew!

Cheers,
Neil.
--
Neil Cotty - Sydney, Australia
1970 MG B GT / 1959 MG A 1600 Mk1 / 1956 AH 100/4 BN2