Re: University Motor's tech seminar

To: "Don Markham" <markham@netusa1.net>, <mgs@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: University Motor's tech seminar
From: "Lawrie Alexander" <Lawrie@britcars.com>
Date: Fri, 5 Feb 1999 08:23:23 -0800
I've been a "by-phone" pal of John for close to twenty years and I have his
written explanation of how to do this. But I still don't believe it! After
changing hundreds of U-joints, the best I can do (even after cleaning the
old grease and much off the drive shaft) is about fifteen minutes per
U-joint.

So, if John really does do one in the time he claims, please let us know if
it was with a "prepared" drive shaft (i.e., one with the old circlips
pre-loosened so they come out easily, with the faces of the joints deburred
so the old cups don't get stuck, and with the whole assembly de-greased and
de-rusted). Perhaps ask if it can be done with a drive shaft exactly as it
comes out of the typical car............

Again, this is not intended as a slam at John, for whose experience and
knowledge I have great respect. It's just that I find the whole concept of
such fast u-joint changes to be impossible!

Lawrie