Questions about 70 BGT

To: "MGs" <mgs@autox.team.net>
Subject: Questions about 70 BGT
From: "Lonn Howard" <hoops@owt.com>
Date: Fri, 5 Feb 1999 18:05:35 -0800
I'm an MG newbie and don't have much literature on them besides Haynes
and Bentleys.  The "big three" catalogs are great for discerning the
differences between model years, but I still have a few questions.  Any
help is appreciated.

My car has a GF series engine and everything attached to the engine is
correct for a GF series engine.  The car was built 12/69.  Is it
possible that this engine is original?

The bonnet is steel.  Shouldn't it be aluminum for a BGT of this
vintage?

I can't find the zerk fitting for charging the steering rack with 90w
oil.  I know where it should be.  Is it possible that this rack just
doesn't have the fitting?

Did the 70 BGT have evaporative emission control crud in the American
market?  I've spotted some poly tubing near the fuel pump but haven't
chased it down yet.  No sign of a carbon canister in the engine
compartment.

Is there a way to tell what the original car color code was.  Triumph
coded that info into a body number.  Did MG?

The fuel pump looks like an ACCO brand.  Has anyone heard of this brand?
FWIW, the pump fits in the standard location and bracket and has
electronic guts rather than the SU-type points arrangement.

Lonn Howard
'70 TR6  -mine
'71 TR6  -in my garage
'70 MGB GT  -ours
'89 Saab Turbo Convertible  -hers

"We are but temporary custodians with an obligation of preservation."