Getting Back to the '74 Midget

To: spridgets@autox.team.net, mgs@autox.team.net
Subject: Getting Back to the '74 Midget
From: Philip Hubbard <hubbard@idir.net>
Date: Sat, 06 Feb 1999 11:03:14 -0600
Hello gang,

I've been real quiet of late, but I'm thinking your vacation from me is
over.  hehe  I've got some things sorted out following my move and it's
time to get reconnected to the lists and back to work on Arioch, Lord of
Chaos.

One thing I'm toying with is a resotration project.  This is very dependent
on whether I can con my dad into letting me use his garage with pit for an
extended period.  He doesn't use it, but there are two other brothers who
might get jealous.  Anyway, any advice is, of course, appreciated.  I'll
continue to get my '74 Midget up to snuff, but in reality it is running
nicely so I can think of another project to get some heavy duty learning
done on.  That's one of the main reasons I like this list and working on my
Midget.  I learn so dang much and it's fun.

Anyway, I'm considering the following for restoration:  Bug-Eye, early
Midget (61-63), early MGB or maybe even a Lotus Elan or Spitfire.  I know
the latter is heresy so I'll likely not got that way.  The Elan is more
expensive and I know even less about them than Midgets so it's likely one
of the first three.

Any list ideas on what one should pay for a restoration project version of
one of these cars?  I'm thinking the following condition:  straight body,
as little rust as possible, running even if badly a plus and complete or
practically complete.

I also have a question about parts catalogs.  I'm assuming these are
practically a must if one is contemplating a restoration.  I'm even
thinking it's a good idea for Arioch.  Among it's other uses, would a
catalogue answer questions like "will this '71 Midget dash fit my '74?"?

And now a welding question if I may.  Can someone very briefly tell me the
difference between arc welding, mig welding and any other common types?  I
assume some may not be suitable for automotive purposes.  Hmmm....I think
dad has welding equipment and I might just ask him, but someone else on the
list might get something out of a short intro answer as well.

I'm glad to be getting back to the list a bit more.  Such a great group of
people who also happen to know a heck of a lot about cars.

Philip
1974 Damask Midget - Arioch, Lord of Chaos